The Foundation for Community Betterment was established in August of 2000 by eight professionals between the ages of 25 and 35. Our hope was to join friends and funds together in order to truly give back and make a significant difference in our communities.
As of April 2011, our generous network has raised over $1.6 million to support tremendous individuals and organizations, and build our Betterment Immediate Need Fund.
Here are just a few facts about how the Betterment Ripple Effect has spread throughout the country:
- Betterment’s logo symbolizes that one simple act that can make waves throughout an entire community.
- With the help of more than 5,000 donors, our Betterment Ripple Effect has touched the life of more than 156 recipients.
- The Betterment wave of goodness reached beyond our U.S. borders in 2004 when our donors shared over $9,500 with the Nasrudeen family who were victims of the tsunami in Galle, Sri Lanka.
- When the first Betterment board conference call occurred in April 2000, our network consisted of the eight founding board members on the call. In just seven short years, the Betterment Network has grown to more than 8,000 on our mailing list!
- The first Betterment event was a golf tournament held in Washington, DC, in August 2000. Since then, we have hosted 96 events across the country!
- Ten cities have played host to Betterment festivities over the years and have expanded the network with their events. There are currently 8 active chapters across the country in: Alexandria Bay, NY; Buffalo, NY; Canton, OH; Chicago, IL; Cleveland, OH; Palm Beach County, FL, Seattle, WA and Washington, DC.
- In 2005, the first Betterment Community Chapter was founded in Cleveland, followed by Washington, DC, then Chicago. As organized chapters, these community groups are planning additional outreach efforts beyond their annual charity events.