National Immigrant Justice Center
208 S. LaSalle St., Suite 1818, Chicago, IL 60604
Take a Stand for Human Rights—Sign the Petition
The Senate has introduced comprehensive immigration legislation, which provides critical due process and human rights protections! But, the bill is not perfect. We still need Congress and the president to commit to measures that protect the human rights of those who become entangled in the immigration system, and to end the use of abusive enforcement and detention practices.
As an advocacy organization that has provided legal counsel to low-income immigrants for nearly 30 years, NIJC has identified five guiding principles to ensure that Congress creates an immigration system that is effective, efficient, and humane.
Stand with us and tell your senator you support these principles.
Immigration reform must:
- Keep families, including LGBT families, together.
- Include people who have already been living in and contributing to our society for years and not penalize them for minor offenses.
- Allow individuals in immigration proceedings to understand their rights and have a meaningful day in court.
- Give judges discretion to determine the outcome of cases in immigration proceedings.
- Discontinue the use of arbitrary or indefinite detention.
Fill out the form below to tell your senator that these principles must be part of a new American immigration system.