Support the Safe Cosmetics Act
The undersigned business leaders strongly support H.R. Bill 1385, which will amend title VI of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to ensure the safe use of cosmetics, and for other purposes. Comprehensive Safer Cosmetics reform is good for business, consumers, and workers. It will increase consumer confidence, expand markets, create new jobs in ‘green’ chemistry, and make U.S. businesses more transparent in the global marketplace. Designing new regulations in the industry will open new possibilities, increase transparency for business owners who believe they have a right to know about their products, increase confidence in the cosmetics industry, and protect the health and safety of consumers and cosmetic industry workers. As business owners, executives, professionals, and investors we urge you to support the Safer Cosmetics Act that provides the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services with the authority to:
- Establish labeling requirements, a safety standard that provides a reasonable certainty of no harm from exposure to a cosmetic or an ingredient in a cosmetic, and issue guidance prescribing good manufacturing practices for cosmetics and ingredients.
- Review and evaluate the safety of cosmetics and ingredients of cosmetics that are marketed in interstate commerce, including nanotechnology and contaminants.
- Order a recall or cease of distribution for a cosmetic that is adulterated, misbranded, or otherwise in violation of the FFDCA.
- Take action to minimize the use of animal testing of ingredients and cosmetics.
- Establish an Interagency Council on Cosmetic Safety, which will require the Secretary of Labor to promulgate an occupational safety and health standard relating to cosmetics for professional use.
These regulations will help the Department of Health and Human Services to regulate the ingredients being supplied to companies, as well as the final products being distributed to consumers. It will successfully minimize the adverse impacts to human health and the environment while promoting innovation of safer alternatives. These elements of the Safer Cosmetics Act will create an effective and trusted regulatory system that enhances the value of products across supply chains and supports a healthy economy that caters to safe businesses and healthy consumers.