Join us in urging our city's leaders to make a real commitment to improving outcomes for all children in the District by adopting the five-point platform below. Tell them to Give a High 5 for DC's Kids!
All children in the District of Columbia deserve:
1) High-quality child care. Improve the quality of care at existing centers and increase the number of affordable, licensed child care slots for infants and toddlers across the city.
2) Nurturing home environments. Support postnatal care for first-time mothers and their babies, including evidence-based home visiting programs and family support programs to boost parenting skills and help ensure that babies and new parents have what they need to thrive.
3) Comprehensive health and wellness services. Coordinate and strengthen prenatal care, health screenings for infants and toddlers, early intervention for children with disabilities, and nutritious meals in centers, homes and schools.
4) Qualified and supported teachers. Ensure that early care and early education providers have the tools and resources they need, including professional development, sustained compensation and program evaluation.
5) A smooth transition to kindergarten and beyond. Empower the District’s new Early Childhood Advisory Council to better align and coordinate programs, funding and services for all children in the city from birth to age 5.
The American Academy of Pediatrics –
The Arc of DC
DC Campaign to Prevent Teen
DC Hunger Solutions
Fight for Children
Healthy Families/Thriving Communities Collaborative Council
National Black Child Development
SEIU Local 500
Southeast Children's Fund
Wider Opportunities for Women