Faces & Voices of Recovery Community Listening Forum
Young People in Recovery from Addiction
May 19, 2012, 9:30am - 12:30pm EDT
Faces & Voices of Recovery is partnering with Advocacy Unlimited, Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery and Connecticut Turning to Youth & Families to host a Community Listening Forum on issues facing young people 35-years old and under, their family members, friends and allies. Join us to make our voices heard, raise issues of concern and develop support for action to make it possible for more young people to find recovery.
What: Community Listening Forum on Young People in Recovery from Addiction
When: May 19, 2012 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Check-in begins at 8:30a.m.
Where: St. Francis Hospital's Gengras Auditorium, 1000 Asylum Avenue, Hartford, Connecticut 06105
Young people in recovery face a variety of issues. Some of the areas we will be addressing include:
* Connecting young people to recovery supports across the continuum of care, including before, during and after treatment
* Recovery school programs in high schools and colleges
* The role of family members, peers and community resources in supporting and enriching recovery for young people
* The impact of addiction and recovery on parents
* Developing recovery-oriented social networks and opportunities
The forum will be in an open dialogue/town hall meeting format. Approximately twenty people will speak for five minutes each about the experiences of young people in or seeking recovery. They will share their lived experiences to help educate the public and policymakers about barriers to recovery and strategies to sustain long-term recovery. Speakers will address a Listening Panel composed of policymakers; State, municipal, and federal agency officials; and community leaders.
This format allows traditional “experts” to listen to and learn from the real experts – people in recovery, their family members, friends and allies. After the testimonies from speakers, the Listening Panel members will respond by addressing themes and issues raised by the speakers. Faces & Voices will transcribe the forum and prepare a report based on the information gathered. Members of the media are also invited to attend the forum.
We invite you to participate. We are looking for attendees and speakers from all walks of life who are:
* Young people in recovery
* Parents and family members of young people in or needing recovery
* Recovery support service providers
* Primary care providers
* Experts in addiction, mental health, and co-occurring recovery
* Representatives from other service systems (e.g., juvenile justice, child welfare, social services, etc.)
The forum is supported by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). If you have any questions, or would like more information about speaking or attending, please call Eric McDaniel at 202-737-0690 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you. Join us!
Event LocationSt. Francis Hospital's Gengras Auditorium
1000 Asylum Avenue
Hartford, CT 06105